Thursday, 31 October 2013

Sentence Starter Journal

                                     Sentence Starter Response                                          

By this point, you’re well into or finished your novels. In this response, state your feelings, thoughts, reactions, and questions about situations, ideas, actions, characters, settings, symbols, plots, themes, and any other elements in your text. You can't be wrong in your responses, so take risks and be honest. Complete a MIN. OF 10 of the following “sentence starters” as you see fit (but strictly based on the text you’re reading). You may discuss The Hunger Games OR you independent novel.

I began to think


I love the way


I can't believe


I wonder why


I noticed


I think


I observed


I wonder


If I were


I'm not sure


I felt sad when


I like the way the author


I wish that


This made me think of


I was surprised


It seems like


I'm not sure


This story teaches

4 comments:

  1. I observed That when reading the text Monster I took in the full meaning of what its like to be in a gang, and even though I may not have the easiest life ( nobody does, rich and poor) but what an honest struggle looks and sounds like. If I were Kody Scott I'm not sure if I would have the internal strength at some points to talk about my close losses, but I respect the fact that he did to visually show what his life was like. At times I wish that Kody didn't go on and on about explaining some details, because with me if I'm reading a text and if I every get side tracked its truly hard to get back on task. The story teaches me and many others many gang terms that are very miss understood by most. For example " The Set" instead of the trap, and "Crab" for a derogatory name towards The Crips. I began to think half way through the text that Kody may have been talking a bit of smoke throughout the text but too in that he explained how he has never seen bodies in such positions, and how it didn't seem possible the body could even bend in such ways, and to me that seems vivid enough that this experience is no joke, to him or anybody who thinks so. I'm not too sure at some point what Kody was trying to explain to the reader because like I explained earlier he tends to let his mind speak a lot and fall off track. It seems like kody was headed in a good direction at the beginning. he was in school, but even though I'm not sure I would get jumped into a gang to prove to people that I'm a grown man, but then again I was raised by a Doctor, and a business owner In London so I'm sure if my wants and needs were the same as his it could be possible I too could be in a set. ( quite often wish I wasn't raised by the fortunate ). I were in Kody's shoes when I was younger I know I have the ambition to do whatever it takes to be looked at as a grown man. doesn't matter my age I was always eager to be respect by people younger, older, and my age. So I wonder if I stayed in St. Vincent where I was born in a Rough Island slum ( Mespo) if I would have ended up in the same position as kody. Lastly I liked the way the author explained his gang career to the public explaining that where his actions have led him in life and that its truly no joke.

    -M. Upfold

    ReplyDelete
  2. I observed when reading The Hunger Games that Katniss Evergreen (main character) is a strong woman, physically and emotionally and has many responsibilities. I felt sad when I read about Katniss' father dying and she had to take his place in providing and taking care of his family. This made me think of my life, how my father died and the similar responsibilities I took on. I was surprised when Prim (katniss' little sister) was chosen to participate in the Hunger Games. Katniss took her sisters place, I think what she did was very courageous. When the tributes went to the capital they had to get sponsors to like them so they can survive. Cinna (Katniss' designer) made Katniss a gorgeous dress that really impressed the audience. I love the way her dress went up in flames. It seems like Cinna was the best artist to have because of his creativity. I wonder what all the other tributes were thinking when the seen the "Girl on Fire". During the games many people died and Peeta (tribute from District 12) formed an alliance with then enemy to survive. I can't believe Peeta did that and left Katniss all alone. By the end of the book there was only Katniss and Peeta, two tributes from the same district. The "Game Maker" tried to make them kill each other to complete the game. I wonder why the rules were like that, they were both from the same district. Katniss refused to kill Peeta and decided that they should play a trick on the "Game Maker" and eat poisonous fruit from the trees to ruin the games. The "Game Maker" finally decided that for the first time in the history of the Hunger Games there will be 2 winners.

    - Eric Lai

    ReplyDelete
  3. I began to think that Baby, the main character might have some sort of mental issue.


    I love the way that Baby thinks of everything, her thoughts are very interesting.


    I can't believe that Alphonse dies.


    I wonder why Baby's father was really the way he was.


    I noticed Baby is very interested in a lot of things most children aren't interested in.


    I think the writer did an amazing on the book and really knew how to make you feel like you were inside the book and in Baby's point of view.


    I observed that Baby's father had a lot of issues that resulted from his bad childhood and it is now being layed into Baby's childhood.


    I wonder if the writer made a second book like this?


    If I were Baby, I would have done something to get Alphonse back for all the hurt he put her through.




    I felt sad when Baby was being forced to prostitute and then got into heroin.


    This story teaches me that drug addiction can have an enormous impact in peoples lives, even the ones not in the addiction.

    -A.Brown

    ReplyDelete
  4. I observed that when reading "Lullabies for little criminals", Baby is a strong minded person . I love the way Baby is so positive and lets nothing get her down.I felt sad when Alphonse was beating up on Xavier.I can't believe Alphonse dies just when the story was getting better .Its seems like Alphonse didn't really care for Baby , just the money she was coming in with .I noticed Baby has no positive role models to look up to that could of helped her through the obstacles she had to encounter . Towards the ending i began to think Baby was going to be the one dead not Alphonse . If i were Jules i would of tried a little harder to really get that bond back that Baby and I shared.I like the way the author made everything so personal , it felt like i was reading an autobiography about Baby's life . I think the book was amazing .
    -Desireen M.

    ReplyDelete